With the growing trend of “bullying” and highly-publicized school violence, such as the shootings at Virginia Tech or even more recently, at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut, school violence is a serious risk that could be addressed in the following ways:
• Install metal detectors at entrances to the facility, if needed.
• Hire security guards to monitor activity in the school.
• Enforce student conduct and dress code policies.
• Train staff to be observant of the warning signs of potentially violent student behavior.
• Educate students about violence. For example, create an anti-bullying instructional program.
Keeping your building secure from outside criminals or unauthorized personnel is a paramount responsibility. Assess your facility’s current security features and determine where improvements should be made.