• Situate compactors to avoid or minimize risks related to material transport and unauthorized access.
• Surround your compactor with lockable fencing that is at least 6 feet tall in order to deter unauthorized access.
• Install adequate lighting near your compactor.
• Guard all dangerous parts of machinery.
• Maintain all guarding that prevents access to the dangerous parts.
• Prevent unauthorized operation with effective electrical isolation, lockable controls and dedicated key operation.
• Write a set of procedures for clearing blockages in compactors.
• Implement a permit-to-work system for granting access to any dangerous parts of compactor machinery.
• Choose a time during the day to complete skip-transfer activities when the lowest number of people will be present.
• Allow only trained staff to operate compactors.
• Maintain signs and instructions for proper compactor use.
• Provide periodic refresher training.